Friday, February 28, 2014

Missionary Prep


It will be another 12 years before that kid is eligible to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I can easily look back 12 years and see the changes that have happened in our society, the decay of common values and shared principles.  I can see those changes accelerating, and worry about the world that he will serve his mission in and raise his family in.  But worry does me no good.  Today, what I can do is prepare him by teaching him the Gospel and the Words of God.

I recently looked at the seminary Scripture Mastery verses.  Under the references was a section on effectively teaching the Scripture Mastery verses.  One of the recommendations was that the students learn the songs that teach the order of the books in each book of scripture.  I still sing the Old Testament song that I learned in Primary in my head when I am looking for a verse in the Old Testament.  This is something that my kids can easily learn now.

The Book of Mormon song is particularly fun, and short enough for all of my kids to easily learn.


I've created a PDF with the words of the song that we will print out and use while we are learning the song.  We can sing it each night at dinner and then once we have learned it we will add it to the rotation for Family Home Evenings.  It should help our kids be able to find scriptures more easily.  Maybe if it goes well we will learn the Old Testament and New Testament songs too.

It is sung to the tune of "Ten Little Indians".

No comments:

Post a Comment