Friday, August 23, 2013

Scripture Journals


My mom taught me to love the scriptures without ever saying a word.  Sure, she taught me about the scriptures, and taught from them- but it wasn't until I was a young adult and woke up on top of a houseboat on Lake Powell that I really learned how valuable the scriptures were.  As the morning sunshine hit the boat and woke us up I looked out to see my mom walking back to the boat along the shore, as she came closer I could see that she had her scriptures.  I realized then that if my mom would search out a quiet spot to read the scriptures on vacation that she saw them in a whole different light than I did.

It has taken me years to begin to value them like my mom did.  It really wasn't until I recognized that my children would need a love and understanding of the scriptures to protect them that I started writing down my thoughts, printing off important talks, and putting them all together in a meaningful way.  My scripture journals are a tangible evidence of the love the Lord has shown me while I have worked to become closer to Him.

Here are some great resources for scripture journals:

The Red Headed Hostess
Her site really helped me to see exciting ways to journal!  She has some beautiful scripture journals for sale, including an amazing study on the Names of Christ that would be a great way to prepare for Christmas and Easter.  I prefer my three ring binders so I can add content at will, but hers are ready made.  She also shares lots of her pages so you can see ideas (the following pictures are from her website).







Latter-day Homeschooling
This is how I set up my scripture journals.  I love my alphabetical tabs ($5 at Walmart)!  She also has lots of free printable scripture journal pages that make it easy to hit the ground running.



That Good Part
She has several scripture study guides that helped me try new ways of studying.  I especially love her study of the Young Men and Young Women's theme: Stand in Holy Places.  She also has a free e-book all about effective scripture study.  I'm in awe of her crazy art skills too:



No comments:

Post a Comment